And so I've been baking. And I had NO IDEA that ordinary humans could make real English muffins. I mean... I've always assumed that they were only made by British versions of the Keebler elves in giant orange factories. After feeding my sourdough breakfast yesterday morning I couldn't bring myself to throw away the discard cup before feeding it lunch. So I put the cup in the fridge and decided that I'd find a use for it. By midmorning today I had painstakingly cut out 24 individual muffins and set to rise the dough for a large sourdough boule.
Fun Fact: English Muffins have to be individually cooked on a griddle or in a heavy frying pan for about 15 minutes! Who knew? You can't just toss 'em all in the oven...
Happily, my muffins came out pretty damn near perfect on the first try... even though I forgot to add the 4 tablespoons of butter.
I mean... check out those nooks and crannies!
By noon I had finished cooking all 24 muffins (4 of which we devoured before they were even cool enough to handle) and had pulled my slightly-too-sour sourdough out of the oven.
My starter is tucked safely back in the fridge, refreshed and bolstered by two days of love and feedings. When the school year begins it will be happy to get more regular attention as Friday night will once again be pizza night and its weekly services will be required. If you need me before then, I'll probably be in the kitchen. I think there are some chicken carcasses that could be turned into broth...


Oh my god. I love this. Homemade english muffins?! YUM.
ReplyDeleteI hate English muffins. The nooks, or maybe it's the crannies, scratch the roof of my mouth. That said, Erik loves them. And I'm happy to hear that pizza night will be making a return. I have a big jar of Leftie's salad dressing for you, and I love your pizza. Reading this stuff on here instead of hearing it from you bums me out because we should just get together.
ReplyDeleteLefteris salad and pizza it will be... I wonder... Grilled chicken salad pizza with Lefteris dressing? Is it do-able? Or is that just a gyro? We'll make plans...
Delete