We were certain by Mr. Yeti's 2nd birthday that she was going to remain an only child for the foreseeable future. Yet, somehow, our family didn't feel quite complete. From time to time we tried to figure out what was missing... another cat? (We have a 1 cat per human maximum, so we're currently at quota) Another lizard? (Our beloved dragon recently passed away after nearly 10 happy sun and cricket filled years). A Kitchen-aid stand mixer? (We decided to adopt one, and though it has made us very happy, that wasn't it either.) As time passed we decided to wait and see what the gods put in our path.
And then, in early December, the gods brought us Audry II.
Actually, it was a king (though, if you ask Jean Bodin, they are actually one in the same...). King Arthur of Norwich, Vermont. You see, I find it hard to pass up a deal (wait for future posts on couponing for more explanation here!). For several weeks in a row, King Arthur Flour had a series of amazing pre-holiday shopping offers that I managed to combine with promotional codes and gift cards from previous orders to score crazy good deals on baking goods. And man, do we love baking. We placed 4 orders in 2 weeks swearing that each one was the last-- and we would have made good on our oath if their 12/12/12 sale hadn't come along. You see, they offered up a once in a century deal. Spend $12, get 12% off and pay only $0.12 for shipping. Combined with the $10 off coupon code that I had received as a reward from a previous order this meant that we could order the sourdough crock and starter kit that we'd had our eyes on for just about $10 dollars... more than half off the original $27.95!
Our sourdough kit arrived 2 days before Yule and I read the care sheet that came with it several times before taking the starter out of the box and feeding it. One feeding and it started to expand in its large glass bowl. Two feedings and it was bubbling and starting to froth a bit. Three feedings and I swear I heard it burp.
Once the starter was well fed I pulled a cup out to use in a pair of loaves, fed the remaining starter once more, settled it into its new little crock and tucked it away in the back of the fridge to fester for a week until its next feeding. We now take it out once a week, remove a cup for baking or passing along, feed it a bit more and give it some downtime behind the Brita. Since Audry II arrived we've had 4 delicious loaves of sourdough bread and are looking forward to some kick-ass buttermilk pancakes tomorrow morning.
Me, Julie, Mr. Yeti, Lois, Klakky, Mishi and Audry II. Our family finally feels complete.
Two freshly baked loaves, Audry II in her crock and a bowl of buttermilk pancake sponge set up to grow overnight.
Best of luck with your new addition! I had the BEST sourdough starter in college. Many loaves and pizzas and pancakes were enjoyed. Within a week of my relocation into my boyfriends apartment it vanished. His roommate thought "something went bad" and threw it out. It may have been the only thing that kid through out all year. I never recovered from the loss and haven't kept a successful starter since.
ReplyDeleteOh no... my condolences!!! If we are ever in the same vicinity, I can give you some of ours. It's going strong so far and has made many loaves of bread, pancakes and an apple cake. I want to try pizza dough next. Wonder if it would survive an overnight with the post office...
ReplyDelete