I just turned on the heat.
Yup. Cranked it all the way up to steamin' hot 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Not that you should care. Not that anyone should, really, but I figure I've got to start this blog somewhere, and that's as good a place as any. Especially if I'm being cliche enough to start my new blog on New Years Day, rather than, say January 9th.
My goal here? To jot something down every day that exceeds the 140 character limit for Twitter or goes just a bit deeper than my usual Facebook musings. Writing was my first love (ok... maybe that was Cool Ranch Doritos...). For a long time, the notebook page was my only safe space; the place where I could escape, explore, imagine, create, dream, rant, vent, rave, wonder, think and live a life aside from the one I muddled through every day. Writing is what I was studied and what I am trained to do. It was one of the first links forged in the real-life relationship which became my anchor and has carried me through 17 unpredictable years. Writing has opened doors for me and has slammed them shut on my prying fingers. My words are unpredictable; they sneak up on me at times, flutter out from between the pages of forgotten novels, turn up in the middle of empty notebooks, snake angrily across old photographs and appear out of nowhere on the web pages of angsty teenage girls. For a long time Writing and I fell out of touch; our interactions became brief and utilitarian- relegated to lesson plan books, worksheets, formal paperwork and the occasional 5 paragraph essay. When we met up unexpectedly we were awkward and stilted- I wasn't sure where stood anymore. A year ago, however, when I left my full time job as a teacher to stay home with my not-yet-a-toddler, Writing and I began crossing paths more frequently. As I started to fall back on Writing to pick up a few pennies here and there, I was surprised that it was there to catch me.
So I guess the point of this blog is to work on rekindling some of what was once there... to see if I can get a bit of the magic back. To heat things up a bit, if you will :-P
No comments:
Post a Comment